Research is developed along two main lines of research:
This line of inquiry addresses the diversification, modernization and improvement of education. It studies the development of educational structures, processes and practices, including the integration and use of digital technologies, oriented towards the promotion of socially relevant learning. Attention will be given to two central problems: quality of learning, considering issues related to the acquisition and development of competences and skills; and inclusion, addressing the ongoing engagement with diversity.
Major knowledge advances expected on Education XXI
1. Identification, analysis and promotion of practices of inclusion and equity in formal and non-formal educational contexts, including higher education contexts, youngsters and unschooled adults, in order to cope with increasing diversity and technological development of current societies.
2. Study desirable and relevant literacies, for the Portuguese context, namely in mathematics, science, and physical education, especially regarding sensitive and at risk student groups, taking into account genre, sociocultural origin, and involvement in school, and design of intervention strategies in order to support curriculum development and teacher education.
3. Innovation and improvement of teaching and training practices using technology enhanced learning with emerging digital technologies (such as augmented reality, data analytics, forms of narrative storytelling, taking advantage of mobile learning) and understanding its impact on learners, learning, teachers and teaching in order to contribute to wider adoption in schools.
This line of inquiry on the processes of change in education deals with the coordination, steering and monitoring of change in education systems. Attention will be given to two central problems: the professional development in education professions, particularly focusing on the socialization and training processes of teachers and other educators; and the processes and effects of participation and accountability in the governance of education systems, particularly focusing on the construction, implementation and assessment of educational public policies.
Major knowledge advances expected on Change Forces
1. Expansion of the empirical-based analysis of the role, scope and depth of international large scale assessments effects in education governance, focusing on the relations between public policies and the evolution of Portuguese students’ performance in PISA, and on the mobilization and translation of PISA data into “knowledge for policy” by state and non-state actors.
2. Provision of public authorities on a regular basis with data, analysis and evaluations on processes, effects, best-practices, and governance patterns of national policies and programs, specifically on major challenges of Portuguese education such as: reduction of early school leaving; promotion of adult education; development of school autonomy and accountability.
3. Development of new models for teacher education (in-service and pre-service) for promoting literacy, inclusion, citizenship participation and empowerment combining practice-based, collaborative and technology enriched training frameworks.